Gravity belt thickener and belt filter press rebuilds and upgrades
Restore and improve gravity belt thickener or belt filter press performance for sludge dewatering and thickening
Refurbishing or upgrading your gravity belt thickener or belt filter press can restore, or even improve, sludge thickening or dewatering performance – improvements of 2-3% solids increase are typical. With decades of expertise in the industry, Alfa Laval can restore equipment to factory OEM specifications – no matter the brand. All rebuilds are backed by a warranty.
By avoiding expensive engineering or structural expenditures associated with new equipment, you can significantly save time and money while ensuring that you continue to get the process results you need.
Upgrade options for belt filter presses and gravity belt thickeners
Rooted in the Ashbrook Simon-Hartley history, and growing into the newly developed AS-H KPZ belt presses, the deep knowledge and technology portfolio at Alfa Laval allows for many older machines to receive modern upgrades that can dramatically improve performance and efficiency.
While each machine will have different options available depending on its design, some examples of the possibilities include:
- Increase pressure section rollers to improve sludge cake dryness
- Extending the gravity deck to create more drainage prior to the pressure rollers
- Enhanced control systems to allow better control and automation of the equipment
- Full control panel rebuilds, bringing them up to modern day standards and capabilities
- Upgrading chicanes (plows) to modern design to increase turbulence and water removal on the gravity section
- Modify bearing enclosures to reduce contamination possibility
- Upgrade hydraulic unit to allow for easier maintenance and smaller oil reservoirs
- Improve wash boxes to allow for greater accessibility and maintenance access
- Reduce maintenance by upgrading to shaft mount drives
The rebuild and upgrade process
The extent of your belt press or gravity belt thickener rebuild or upgrade will depend on the goals you are trying to achieve as well as the original condition of your equipment. Alfa Laval performs an extensive examination and assessment to ensure that you understand what is being recommended to allow you to make the best decision for your plant.
A typical upgrade / rebuild process entails:
- Develop a plan with your Alfa Laval team to identify your top goals, budget, and options available
- Customer will receive a full report on recommended repairs/replacements that is aligned to the plan discussed – complete with pictures
- Alfa Laval can provide a complete detailed specification for the required work if required for a bid process
- Depending on the project, either the belt press/thickener will be sent to the Houston, TX repair center or parts required and field service engineers will come to your site
- If the work is being done on site, factory trained service technicians will work with your team to complete the work at your facility
- Customer will receive regular updates on progress of their repair/rebuild
- Work will be performed to original OEM specifications and tolerances
- Only the highest quality OEM parts will be used
- A final report will be issued, detailing the work completed
- On site start-up provided as required for the project
Each rebuild is different and Alfa Laval will work closely with you to accommodate the services you need to ensure that the upgrade / rebuild Alfa Laval performs meets your requirements.
White paper: Rebuild/upgrade your belt press and save 30-40% the cost of buying new
Learn how you can breathe life back into your older belt press or belt thickener, what improvements can be made, and how the process works so that you can decide if it’s the right choice for your process.
Case story: Recovering lost belt press performance
A southern U.S. refinery was seeing performance drop off from two almost 30-year old belt filter presses. They were thinking “replacement”, but Alfa Laval saw a way to restore performance at a much lower cost.